Wednesday 13 February 2013

...I would support gay rights


So this morning I woke up to a friend’s Facebook status that really upset me so I feel the need to talk about it. Here’s what he posted:

Tonight I got harassed and then beat up for being gay in uptown waterloo. My female friend also got punched and thrown to the ground for being with me. This sh-t happens, so don't be complacent and don't put up with people saying things like "faggot" and "that's gay" because this is where that sh-t leads. I've never been gay bashed before, and it feels like sh-t, so smarten the f--- up society because this is bullsh--. Welcome to my reality and my worst fears came true tonight. Goodnight, sorry this status is aggressive but I'm so pissed.

I am so angry after hearing about this. We all hear a lot about all kinds of hate in the world but it has never really hit home before until it was my friend that was harassed. Canada is supposed to be known for how accepting people are, being one of only 11 countries that have fully legalized gay marriage (Argentina, Belgium, Denmark, Iceland, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, South, Africa, Spain, and Sweden being the others).


If Canada is supposed to be one of the more tolerant countries, what happens in other countries around the world? In some countries, such as Sudan, Saudi Arabia, and Mauritania, the death penalty is used for those who practice homosexuality. Many countries (e.g. Swaziland, Lesotho, & Zimbabwe) actually differentiate between males and females with sexual acts between females being legal while it’s illegal between males. I find it absolutely ludicrous that gay rights are protested! Why do people care so much about other people’s private business? It is not affecting them at all!!!

A lot of people use religion as an excuse for bashing homosexuals but I know a lot of people who practice religion who are able to support gay rights and love everybody while maintaining a strong relationship with their God. Using religion to spread hate only makes that religion look ignorant and hypocritical. You can’t just pick and choose rules to fit your own agenda.

Hate, like the kind my friend experienced last night, will not stop until we, as a global community, are able to accept each other for who we are and respect each other and ourselves. Don’t refer to something negative with “That’s so gay!” or “That’s retarded!” We’re only making our world a more hateful place to live in. 

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well put Darrelle. It just don't understand how in our modern, sophisticated world there is still such hate! What really scares me is that this happened to our friends, and it could be my gay family members next. Gay relationships don't affect anyone elses lives!!! As the meme going around the internet says "Gays tearing up the social fabric? Please, what gay would ever harm fabric". I mean, it's a little stereotypical, but it gets the point across. World leaders really need to wake up to the fact that gays rights are a step towards human rights and equality. We're into the 21st century... but equality hasn't moved forward since women got the right to vote. It's just so unfair that gays are treated the way they are sometimes... and I hope those in power do something about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In no way am I condoning the hate that was experienced by gays, or by any other group in society that may be picked on, stereotyped, or made fun of, for that matter. But I believe your blanket statement that 'gay relationships don't effect anyone else's lives!!!' is too much of a generalization, and not entirely accurate. I am thinking in terms of if the gay couple decides to raise children and then what a kid's childhood needs from a mother and a father to raise them. To say that anyone's choice of action will only affect the person that makes the choice is forgetting the fact that we live in a connected world where impacts of decisions can 'ripple' to those around us. Just a thought.

      Delete
    2. Well put Bailey. Michelle likely didn't mean it that way but you bring up a very valid point about the interconnected world we live in now where everything we do will impact someone else at least indirectly if not directly.

      Delete
    3. That is very true Bailey, and I defenitly didn't mean "gay relationships don't affect anyone elses' lives" in a blanket statement way (but I can see why it would come off as such). What I meant was that promoting gay rights doesn't mean everyone in the world all of the sudden has to be gay.

      Delete
  3. Injustices like these are loudspeakers for ignorant minds. I am really angry and sad that it happened. I really hope that this world becomes a safe place for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, knowing that hate like this actually happens is both eyeopening and disgusting. And, some countries make it legal for two females to engage in sexual acts together but not males...? For what reasons is it OK for females but not males?! I honestly do not understand, is there even any reason behind that legalization? It is mind blowing that there are people alive that will actually harm someone, just because of something they are. Gay's are no different than anyone else, they love people just the same that everyone else loves.
    Individuals who make it their business to harm someone just because of who they are, need to find a new hobby and mind their own business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the fact that it's legal for females but not males in some countries surprised me as well. It could be due to the gender roles men and women are supposed to play. I can't say for certain though, as it definitely doesn't make sense to me.

      Delete
  5. Some of my friends don't feel comfortable going to what they call "straight" bars or even expressing affection in public with their boy/girlfriend anytime because they happen to be part of the LGBT community. The level of danger for people who are transgendered is even scarier. The worst part about all of this is that unless you are friends with people in the community or part of it yourself, you will never know that there are many people in our "developed" country that do not feel safe in public on a regular basis. This is the reality for my friends and yours.

    ReplyDelete