Saturday 7 September 2013

...I would embrace new adventures!

The day we’ve been looking to for the last four years has finally arrived: I’ve departed to Nepal for placement. I’m currently on the plane from Montreal to Doha, on hour 9 of a lovely 12 hour flight. It seems so surreal to me right now that we’re actually going on placement. All throughout University placement has just been this thing that will happen in the future and it’s weird to me that I’m actually doing it now, but I’m incredibly excited to get there and get started.

Yesterday morning I also received noticed for a change to my mandate. Before I was going to be working as a documentation intern for a climate change project under the Integrated Development Society (IDS) but I am now being moved to a documentation intern for the Multi-stakeholder Forestry Project, a collaborative
project between IDS, CECI and a couple other organizations. The work I will be doing will be preparing reports, promotional material, and creating a website for the project. According to my new mandate, I will also have the opportunity to travel to rural areas for this project, which I’m quite excited about.

I’m actually quite excited about this new mandate. I liked my old one as well but forestry is one area I’m particularly interested in, and have even taken a couple courses in forest ecosystems, so hopefully those skills will come in useful.


However, I also don’t actually start working on the project right away. When we get to Kathmandu tomorrow morning, we get thrown right into three full days of orientation (jet lag should be fun!) followed by 10 days of language training so I don’t actually start with my organization until Sept. 19. Luckily though, there is Internet at the CECI Passage House where I’ll be staying, so I’ll keep you updated!

No comments:

Post a Comment