Thursday 10 October 2013

...I would finally get into a routine...and then leave on holiday

I’ve now been in Nepal almost exactly a month and I feel I’ve finally started getting into a routine. This week is my second actual week of work and although it started pretty slowly, I’ve now got work to do now keeping me busy. I’m currently working on updating our organization’s website content because it has not been updated since Nafisa (an Indev student from last year) was here. The organization is getting a completely new website made and it’s my job to update and prepare the content for the new site. During the week, I work from 10-5, Monday to Friday. Typically, the Nepali workweek is Sunday to Friday, but we are able to take Sunday off as well, which allows us to see more of the area. I’m luckier than most of my peers here because my commute to work is only a 5 minute walk. This means I have a lot more free time that I can use to get things done or explore the neighbourhood (or lay in bed and sleep longer!). I can leave the house at 9:55am and still make it to work on time.

Thanksgiving Dinner
Last weekend, we celebrated Thanksgiving here early. I was surprised at how easy it was to get most of the supplies for our dinner and we spent the day cooking a huge Western feast with chicken, mashed potatoes, salad, two kinds of beans, honey glazed carrots, stuffing, cauliflower, fresh bread and Nutella cheesecake brownies and apple crisp for dessert. We ate by candlelight on the roof of the CECI Passage House. It was really nice to have that taste of home. On Sunday we also went shopping, which I’ve been looking forward to, and I bought 2 kurtas (typical Nepali dress). I’m also looking forward to going sari shopping soon.

In Nepal, it’s currently Dashain, the biggest holiday of the year. It started on Saturday but most people still work during this week. It’s a Hindu festival but is celebrated by everybody in Nepal, regardless of religion. Most people here compare it to our Christmas and lots of people leave Kathmandu to go back to their villages to be with their family. On the 8th day of Dashain, there are lots of animal sacrifices to the goddesses across the country and after rituals are performed at the temples, the meat from the sacrifices are cooked and eaten. Even many people who are normally vegetarian partake in eating the meat sacrifice during this feast. There are other aspects of Dashain that I have already seen. Buying and wearing new clothing is part of the festival, and while shopping last weekend, the streets were packed and many shops had “Dashain discounts”. As well, across the country, large swings are set up for the children to use. There is one large bamboo swing just down the street from me. Dashain is a large festival here and it’s amazing that we are able to be here during this holiday.
Bamboo Swing in our Neighbourhood

For our Dashain holidays, Peter, Sumbal and I are headed to Pokhara on Friday. Peter and I are heading on a 5-day trek starting on the Sunday with three other Canadian volunteers, Juliana, Lisa, and Luzianne (Sumbal opted not to do the trek). We may also try to fit in some other fun activities like rafting or paragliding. Pokhara is a city just south of the Annapurna mountain range in Mid-Nepal. It’s supposed to be beautiful and there are tons of adventure activities to do there. I’m sure when I get back from our adventure I’ll have a lot more to tell about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment