Monday 3 February 2014

...I would explore all the ways to get around Kathmandu

In Kathmandu, there are lots of choices for ways to get around but it’s very different than what I’m used to back home or even compared to other capital cities around the world. The roads in Kathmandu are almost all under construction so no matter what your transportation choice is; it will not be a smooth ride.

Taxi
Taxis are definitely the easiest way to get around, but they’re also the most expensive (although compared to home it’s nothing – a ride across the city will generally be under $5). With taxis, you have to make sure you agree on a price with the driver before getting in. We generally use taxis if we’re short on time, we don’t feel like cramming into the other modes of transportation, or at night when all the other transit systems stop and taxis have monopoly on movement, allowing them to almost double the price.

Bus/Mini-bus
There are tons of buses everywhere and they are often the best way to get where you’re trying to go. However, it can be a little difficult at times to figure out exactly which bus you need to take. There are no schedules and the routes are not posted anywhere. Each bus has an attendant who shouts out the side of the bus the places where it is going. Also, during rush hours it can be very crowded on the bus (especially the mini-bus) and I’ve ended up accidentally falling into people’s laps before and cannot get up. As well, one time when we took the bus to Bhaktapur (the city beside Kathmandu), we somehow ended up in another district, so it can be quite the adventure.


Tuk-tuk (Tempo)
As far an public transportation goes, I find tuk-tuks to be the easiest because there is a stop right near where we live and we can take it across most of the city. It’s also generally less crowded and the stops are much more flexible. The tuk-tuk has a set route that it drives along but you can get off anywhere you’d like by smacking the roof to let the driver know to stop. I also really like that the tuk-tuk drivers are often women, which is not seen on any of the other modes of transportation.

Walking/Biking
As a capital city, Kathmandu isn’t actually that large. I’ve walked across half the city before in only an hour or two and most places are walkable if you have the time (although quite dusty from all the construction). I plan to walk across both Kathmandu and Lalitpur (just below Kathmandu) on a weekend one day, and shop my way across the city.
I also bought a bike to get around the city but I have discovered that it has not exactly been the best choice. I got a hole in the tire the first time I rode it from nothing I ran over. The last time I rode it, my pedal just fell off as I was riding and I haven’t fixed it yet. To deal with the bumpy roads here, a good mountain bike is pretty much required if you want the bike to stay together.

1 comment:

  1. Darrelle,
    It sounds like so much fun, despite any challenges you might have. It's probably great having friends around doing the same thing as well. tina

    ReplyDelete