Saturday 22 February 2014

...I would get into the Olympic spirit

       Watching the Olympics in Nepal has been very difficult because Nepal is not a country that follows the Olympics. Very few restaurants or bars have a television and then it’s off 12 hours a day when the power is out. I’ve only watched the Olympics one time so far on a TV (Snowboard Cross – my favourite event). Last night I skyped home and my family set a laptop in front of the TV so I could watch the hockey game. Otherwise, I follow the Olympics from Twitter.

Although Nepal does not follow the Olympics, they actually do have one Olympian competing at the games. His name is Dachhiri Sherpa, he is 44 years old and he competed in cross-country. Going into the games, he stated that he expected to finish last, “but the placing is not important if I am teach young people in Nepal about the Olympic spirit. The spirit is in my heart.” Sherpa ended up finishing second to last. After the race, he and the event’s winner, Swiss skier Dario Cologna, waited for the last place racer to congratulate him on finishing.

I think this is a great reminder of what the Olympics is all about. I love the competition of the event and cheering on Canada to gold, but I am most proud when we show good sportsmanship. When Gilmore Junio gave up his spot on the Canadian team to Denny Morrision because he thought Denny would do well (Denny has won 2 medals). Or when the Canadian coach gave a Russian competitor a ski after he damaged his during a cross-country event so that he could finish his race. That is the spirit of the Olympics and that is the attitude Dachhiri Sherpa fully embraces.

No comments:

Post a Comment